Monday, October 11, 2010

Blog Name

You may be wondering why I named my blog “Writing Jewels”. Well, here is the answer. My nickname is Jules. Yes, spelled J-U-L-E-S! When I thought of spelling it Jewels, instantly the singer Jewel came into my mind and I did not want to be mistaken for her - I am such a great singer, NOT (emphasis added for sarcasm).
Sometime during my high school years, a couple of friends started to call me Jules. I really liked the sound of it. It was delicious to my ears. Coworkers started to call me Jules. In college, roommates and friends automatically referred to me as Jules without me even telling them it’s my nickname. People still call me Jules – not as many though. Sad, huh?
In my senior year of high school, I had a little crush on one of my teachers. One day during role call, he called me Jules. Out came, “He called me Jules!” followed by a squeal. That was supposed to be one of those inside comments but on accident was vocalized. I was quite mortified because I was a little shy back then.
Oddly enough, my family members have never once called me Jules.
So, when I had the idea to start a blog for my book and other tidbits, the first idea that popped into my head was “Writing Jules” but I didn’t like the look of it. Jewels looked much better. The blog became “Writing Jewels”. It turned out to be a play on words too. Julia (Jules) writes and Julia (Jules) is writing jewels through her novel and posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment