Sunday, October 24, 2010

Thriller


Last night I saw Thriller performed by Odyssey Dance Theatre in Salt Lake City, Utah. For those who do not know what this is, I will tell you. Basically, the dance group performs multiple dance routines based around different scary Halloween themes. Of course, Michael Jackson's Thriller is the opening and closing dance of the production. Yep, they do the whole Thriller dance and that's exciting in it’s self, but the other dances are just as great. I was impressed.
Before and after the performance, Zombies and other demonic and scary creatures crept through the auditorium terrifying the guests. My friend and I had a system to watch out for the zombified women who did all they could to scare the guests. While we chatted, I watched one side of the auditorium and she watched the other. We were never approached. Phew! The zombies crawled on seats and sneaked up on people to get their desired reaction, screams. One girl was so scared of them that the zombies kept on taunting her to get her to scream some more.
As for the dances, my favorite had to be Frankenstein and his Bride. Frankenstein’s bride flawlessly played the part of a limp, dead person after Frankenstein inadvertently broke her neck. She is dragged around the stage and flung around like a rag doll due to Frankenstein’s failed efforts to bring her back to life. My second favorite dance was Dem Bones. The dancers wore glow-in-the-dark bone costumes. All you could see were the glowing bones while they tapped away a scary, yet comical dance.
For many years I have wanted to see this dance production, and now that I finally have, I think that it is going to become an annual event. You should go see it sometime if you are in SLC during Halloween! BTW, my camera wasn't cooperating, so the pictures didn't turn out too great.

No comments:

Post a Comment