Friday, April 8, 2011

Keep Crossing Fingers

It's Friday, y'all. Isn't that great? I think it is. This week has been busy. Lots of things going on. The big thing is I had a birthday. Thank you all for wishing me a Happy Birthday. That was really kind of you to stop by my blog or Twitter. Also, the place I work at won the Organization of the Year Award. We have a supercool, but very heavy plaque gracing our office now. I get to go to lunch tomorrow with a friend. That will be fun, not only because I'll be with my friend, but we're going to my favorite restaurant, The Cheesecake Factory! Bring on a slice of a beautifully delicious cheesecake! Oh, I went out to eat with another friend the other day, too.

So, onto some business. With deciding to change the ages of my book's characters brings about a great deal of rewriting. It is sort of like starting all over again. Daunting, huh? While I was editing last night, it dawned on my that it is gonna take a while to work through changing the dynamic of the characters. Some scenes I have to completely throw away. Argh! I thought it was going to be easier. Nope, I was wrong. I do know that it is going to make it a thousand times better. This is when I tell everyone to cross their fingers so that I can pull this off. I hope that I never do this to myself again. Hehe. I probably will, though, and that's alright.

So, have you ever had to start over writing a story? Have you thought of a different angle that would improve it? Were you afraid that your original story would be better than the new idea?  How did you go forward and write without getting discouraged?

2 comments:

  1. I missed your birthday?! Oh, no! Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

    Congrats on the office award. That's awesome!

    And Cheesecake Factory??? *swoon* I LOVE the pineapple upside-down cake cheesecake!

    I hate that changing your ages of your characters is going to cause you so much extra work. That must be extremely frustrating! I know you can do it, though. But I will still cross my fingers for you anyway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo an office award. Congratulations!

    Even one simple little change could throw your entire manuscript out of whack, and changing the ages of all your characters is going to be some serious work, but if it's right for your story, then do it. All the hard work will be worth it and hopefully pay off in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete