Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fahrenheit 451

I’ve been eating up a lot words lately. With work, revising my own book, writing blog posts, tweeting, eating, sleeping, enjoying ice cream, having some sort of social life, twiddling my thumbs, day-dreaming about having my very own puppy, etcetera, I‘ve still been able to read the following books:

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Daimon by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Almost finished DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth

Now that I look at the list, it doesn’t look very long at all. Sigh. But it is was it is and seems like a lot more than I should be able to read under the circumstances. I’ve got to have time to brush my teeth and shave my legs, ya know. TMI all the way! Plus, I'm beta reading for one of my Tweeps. I keep myself busy.

Anywho, I love reading. A lot. It’s a part of my life I could never, ever give up. Which brings me to the audio book I’m listening to: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The premise of the novel is books are outlawed and burned if found. (Pretty Dystopian if you ask me) In the society, thought has been diminished to practically nothing due to the lack of being educated through reading. And the lack of real social interaction. As well as the lack of looking around to see what really is happening in the world. Life’s “happiness” is based around robotic actions that truly won't bring lasting joy.

Its made me think about all the books I have, will have, and currently am devouring. If someone told me I couldn’t own them, read them, enjoy them, what would I do? Would I hide them in my air conditioning shaft? Would I succumb to the maddening law? Part of me says I would give in because I’m a pretty law-abiding individual—except when it comes to the speed limit, of course. Another part of me says I wouldn’t. Couldn’t.

It’s difficult to decide which path I would choose—the one I love or the one I know I’d hate.

Reflecting upon this thought brings me to a decision: I can’t live without books. I can’t live without feasting upon a story that lulls me away to a far away land, driving my imagination wild. Reading has become a large part of me, and I’m not willing to surrender it. I can’t. I won’t. Because I love it too much.

Now I pose the question: What would you do if you found yourself in such a society?

4 comments:

  1. I love this post, Julia! Who can go without books in a society based on knowledge? I think the whole premise of a society without books makes the society somewhat unoriginal and uninspired, which eventually will cause it to collapse.

    Here's a bit of trivia for you: Did you know Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 is a title he chose based on Fahrenheit 451? Indeedy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I read Fahrenheit 451 in high school (which seems like such a long time ago, but I just graduated in 2008). I like to think that if the government tried to ban books, there would be a lot more of an uprising against it than there was in the book. Personally I'd probably hide them and read them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack - You're right. A societ would colapse. I think a lack of stimulation of the brain, which reading and looking around in the world--being open-minded allows for the brain to function, to be free. Does that make any sense? Anyway, thanks!
    Joanna - We will hide the books and read them to our hearts content. Wow, I graduated in 2000. You make me feel old. JK haha Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful post. I found you through the Small Blogs Big Giveaway blog hop and am now a new follower.
    Laurie
    Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews

    ReplyDelete