Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Shameless Plug. Not That It's Needed.

I attended a writing workshop last Saturday with a writing buddy (Morgan Shamy) who I met on Twitter. Basically we all critiqued the first 15 pages of each member of the group's manuscript. The writers were seated at separate tables according to genre and were headed by a local editor. I received some amazing feedback, and had an enjoyable time meeting new people and thriving off of their passion to write. 

As I talked with my group of writers, one of them wanted to become a part of a writing group or find people to critique her book. I commented that I found my close-knit group of critique buddies through social media--mainly Twitter. 

Without social networking, I know I wouldn't be where I am now. It's crazy to think that at this time last year I pretty much knew nothing about the writing industry, I had no critique partners, and I was a nameless writer in the midst of thousands of authors. 

Now I know so much more than I would have otherwise. I shamelessly plug Twitter for a moment; it's the reason for my success (at least the little bit I have so far). It's my little (well, humongous) writing forum. Twitter initiated me into the world of writing more than anything. Ever. And now I have a lot more writing buddies than I could ever have wished for, and, I'm sure, more to come. 

If you're not using Twitter or social networking, start now. It's a fine way to immerse yourself into a group of people who are supportive and friendly. You will learn so much from them and them from you. I love my writers! I love you all! 

What is your favorite social networking tool and why?


I'm pretty sure you all have seen the following social networking video, but I share it anyway. It's cool and gets my point across very well. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm a BIG fan of Twitter. It's how I found my tribe. I don't know where I would be today without them. Plus I like the whole 140 char. challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Twitter. I've met so many great people, and it is the number one source of traffic to my blog. If anything I'm just sorry I held out for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm showing my geek here, but I'm really loving Google+ because it's easy to keep the conversation inside a group, which means the topic is always relevant to the group. I don't have to think about offending people in my other circles there or worry about boring them with constant updates about my writing projects.

    ReplyDelete