Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thunder, Lightning, Rainstorms! Oh, My!

I've always loved the roaring sound of thunder, the electrifying clash of lightning in the sky, and the splash of rain on the ground. 

I got it all, and more, on Saturday night.

While I was at a zombie-themed dance party, the rain started pelting down. A bunch of us ended up going to the back of the club to dance in the rain. After only ten minutes, I was soaked, no longer fashioning my ratted out zombie hair.

On my way home, I witnessed one of two of the best lightning storms I've ever seen in my life. The first was when I lived in Taiwan. During the typhoon season, I saw lightning striking throughout the entire night's sky. It's still burned into my eyes. Amazing!

But Saturday night, sheesh, it was like watching the coolest firework show known to man. Almost every thirty seconds, fire-like branches of light slashed through the sky accompanied by booming surges of thunder. By the time I neared my house, the rain was flowing down like a waterfall. My driveway turned into a pond of water.

This was such a fun evening of wicked-awesome dancing and a storm I won't ever forget.

The following list includes some books that are like these storms: They're unforgettable to me.
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
  • Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
  • The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
  • These is My  Words by Nancy E. Turner
  • My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer
  • The Plant That Ate the Dirty Socks by Nancy McArthur (yep, you read it right. Love these books)
  • The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  • The Alchmist by Paulo Coelho
  • The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
  • The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien
I have high hopes that one day my book(s) will be unforgettable to YOU.

Which books fall into this category for you?

4 comments:

  1. Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses is one of those storm-like books for me. When I finished reading that one, I said "Whoa. If I could write a book that powerful, I'd accept having a price on my head."

    Another book like that is Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon. Amazing work of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thunder and lightening storms! Although I hate getting caught in the rain. I prefer to watch it from my living room window.

    I loved The Road. So haunting. He says so much with so few words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zombie-themed dance party? That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie - It was way super super fun, too! And in August is the coolest part of it all. So not Halloween time. haha My friend is super cool and plans outrageous parties. hehe

    ReplyDelete