Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Reading Habits

The other day, I visited the lovely Julie Glover's blog. She answered the following questions from a tag. I decided to take a stab at them, too. 

If you could live in a fictional world, where would that be?

There's a series called Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. It is a middle grade fantasy and is brilliant. It's about these two kids who end up spending time at their grandparents house. While there they find out that it's a reservation for fantastical creatures like witches, faeries, trolls, etc... If I could have all of the fun characters in tow, I'd love it all the more. Sigh.

Do you read in noisy or quiet places?

It depends. I'll read cuddled up in my bed all toasty warm or on my lunch break in the hall. Yet, I do go on what I call "Reading Walk-a-thons". The name of it explains all. It's not as hard to walk and read as you'd think. :D I also will read while I workout at the gym. Helps me to get through the agonizing experience. haha

What was the first book you ever read?

Oh, this is a tough one... I can't think back that far. I'll say the first book I read and really liked was "The Plant that Ate Dirty Socks." It's playful, fun, and great for kids (and kids at heart ---> like me).

If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Religion aside, it would have to be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love this book tons.

Favorite Author?

Ok, I'm gonna shake things up a bit. Normally, I'd say Ayn Rand, but J.K. Rowling is the author who got me reading (Well, to be honest, it was Stephenie Meyer). But, Rowling turned out to be a stepping stone to get me excited about reading. It only took a few more years before I was gobbled up by words.

Do reviews influence your choices of reads?

I don't read reviews. At. All. I don't want them to influence if I like or don't like a book. I may ask people I know if it's good or about content. But, in general, I steer clear from reviews.

Fiction or Non-fiction?

Fiction in. Non-fiction out. I like living in make believe worlds. Plus, Non-fiction books don't grasp my attention. I tend to fall asleep reading them. No offence to Non-fiction writers.

Have you ever met your favorite author?

I've met many an author but not Ayn Rand, J.K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer. But I've met Kiersten White, Ally Condie, Shannon Hale, Beth Revis, Andrea Cremer, Brandon Mull, Brenna Yovanof, and Elana Johnson. And I've seen Scott Westerfeld speak (haven't actually met him--total bummer). It's fun to meet authors. It's just fun to be around authors. Such great energy.

Audio books or Paperback?

Both. I always have an audio book playing in my car while I drive around. Thanks to the local library. I do this to multi-task. I have so many books I want to read that this helps me to scratch them off my list quicker. However, I do listen to many that I've already read or own.

Classic or Modern Novels?

I read both. Not classic as much as I should. I try, though. I do read a lot of genres from MG to Adult. I don't stick to just one genre. I tend to read more YA than anything because it's what I write.

Book groups or Solitary Reading?

I've been in a book club before, but I'd rather read as I wish. If I had more time available, I'd enjoy book groups more. For now, I'm a solitary reader. Not to say that I don't talk to friends who've read them before, especially if the book is awesome.

If you could invite three dead authors to a dinner for four, whom would you invite?

Jane Austen, Ayn Rand, and William Shakespeare. Great authors. Why not have an evening with them. Plus, I'd be the talk of the town for having brought them back from the dead. Nice.

Now, what are your reading habits?

Writing. Jewels.

18 comments:

  1. I love that series also. And it's nice to see how other people buckle down to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Fablehaven! It'd be fun to live in that world--only if I don't get killed. :/

      Delete
  2. I really need to read the Fablehaven series. I've always heard such goo things about them. And the Percy Jackson books. I'm very behind.

    Interesting that you would pick Atlas Shrugged. I've only read it once because while it was interesting and there were things I REALLY liked, I found the elitism politics a little to much to stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST read the Fablehaven series! And yes, Atlas Shrugged was rather political. I still enjoyed it tho.

      Delete
  3. Great interview. So did you like the first part of the Ayn Rand book Atlas Shrugged that got turned into a movie? I heard from several that they didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was semi-ok with the first half of Atlas Shrugged as a movie. Meh! But you can't take literary genious like that and make a phenomenal movie out of it. Although, the LOTR series turned out pretty well.
      Anyway, thanks!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you answered the questions! Weren't they great? I still need to read Ayn Rand. My teenaged son loves the Fablehaven series, but I haven't tried it yet. I'd enjoy being in a book club with you, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST read Fablehaven. Ya gotta get through the first book, cuz it's a lot of world building but still fantastic. Great series and author. He actually lives right down the road from my parents. haha

      Julie and Julia's book club extravaganza! To be continued... haha

      Delete
  5. I'm quite eclectic in my habits. I'll read anything that grabs me. Normally, I read in short bursts as and when I get a chance. Shortish, because I'm quite slow. That's the only thing that annoys me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the book if I'm slow or not. If a book super grabs my attention, I'll speed right through it leaving smoke in my wake. haha Yet, right now, I'm having issues getting into reading even though the book I'm working on is the second in a trilogy of which I've been waiting for for months. I just can't get myself to read. Ugh! Terrible.

      Delete
    2. Oh to live in the Fablehaven world! I would be awesome! Perfect answer.
      And you've met tons of authors! WOW!
      I have yet to do an audio book, but my hubs listens to them a lot when he drives. I need to find one to try out. :)

      Delete
    3. Check out audio books, Leigh. They are GREAT! Go to your local library, pick one, and start listening. hehe

      Delete
  6. Fun answers!!

    The ONLY time I read reviews is when I'm trying to decide which one to buy, and honestly I've bought more books BECAUSE of a bad review than anything else.

    Kinda funny . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny. You just want to prove the bad reviews WRONG! :D Way to go, Jolene.

      Delete
  7. I NEED TO READ THAT SERIES!!!!!!! Too much on my TBR list ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand the too much on my TBR list. Ugh!

      Delete
  8. Wow, you've met a lot of awesome authors. I'm a little jealous. I have no bookstores by me so I don't get to meet authors unless it's at my local SCBWI conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love love love to go to a SCBWI conference. Maybe next year I'll hit one up. :D

      Delete