Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Me a Yogi--Bring It

I decided that yoga would be a great form of exercise for me. I've been rather stiff lately and it has made doing cardio not so great. I used to be able to go gung ho for 45 minutes on the stair climber; now, well, I plea the fifth.
 
Let's just say I pretty much suck at yoga right now. My balance is a fiasco of highly hilarious proportions. And my legs shake more than leaves on a tree during a serious wind storm. It reminds me of the first time I ever went rock climbing. Yet, I kept on gripping and stepping my way up the fabricated wall of death. If it weren't for me trying to impress my boyfriend at the time, I probably would have given up. Nah, I would have finished just not as speedy.
 
I have found a great website to teach me the strings. It is DoYogaWithMe.com. I hope to find my balance while doing the moves to the point where I can hang out there on one of my legs like a flamingo. Right now I don't stand as gracefully.
 
This makes me think of writing. When I began writing my first book, I had no idea what I was doing, but I kept on writing. Little by little, I learned how to write. I ended up reading some books about writing fiction novels, and that helped immensely. The books are: Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print by Renni Browne and Dave King & 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes: (And How to Avoid Them) by Jack M. Brickham. Also, betas and critique partners steered me in the right direction.
 
Anyway, my writing has excelled a great deal; however, my yoga expertise is in the novice stage, but it will only get better with time as my writing. Just keep writing, that's all you can do.
 
Have you done yoga? If so, how long did it take you to get a handle on it? Do you know of any great yoga websites? What have you done to learn how to write better?
 
Writing Jewels 

11 comments:

  1. If I attempted yoga I would tie myself in a knot!
    It's cool to look back and realize how far you've come with your writing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been much into Yoga, though I really need to because I get very stiff. so true about the comparison to writing though. We struggle at anything that is new to us. We just have to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are days my yoga and writing are neck and neck. Although writing is easier, I just plant seat in chair and go. Yoga is bending and stretching. Often times its easier to get into a pose then out of it. But I still work at it. Eventually I will get better - at both.


    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done yoga, but right now I'm on day 10 of level one of Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred. Ouch!

    Okay, that was off-topic. LOL As far as writing goes, I just keep at it. That's the best way to improve, I think.

    Have a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried it once back, could do it but never stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love yoga :)

    When I first started I was about the least flexible person on earth and I thought that I would NEVER be able to do any of the moves without falling over. Even a month of practicing helped me improve. Hang in there, you'll get better at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done yoga and am going to pick it up again very soon. And I find that I'm a better writer as I read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was worried that you were going to take my pic-a-nic basket for a second ...

    You'll have to let me know how the yoga goes. Always been afraid to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool comparison. It definitely takes some practice to hold those yoga poses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your transition to the life of a yogi is exciting, and relatively painless, Jewels.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never attempted yoga. IT always intimidated me. I'm built like a linebacker so I'm not graceful at all!

    ReplyDelete