Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Insecure Writers' Support Group: What's Missing?

Sometimes I feel like there's something crucial missing in my life. It could be a number of things: a higher sense of spirituality to more vegetables filling my diet to greater sociability to a husband and family.

I've tried to make something of myself through education, traveling, writing, and religion, however. My writing has most definitely kept my desire for life stirring through the sinews of my flesh and bones. I am eternally grateful for that one simple, yet profound, dream back in December 2009; it started this journey by supplying me with a wicked cool idea for a book.

Even though my writing has yet to place my words on the market, it doesn't matter. It has been a beacon through depression that often clouds my days. It has buoyed me up and exalted me to higher realms of joy.

I realized until I feel whole (if that truly ever happens, haha), especially with having a family of my own, I must have things to look forward to; otherwise, my life is just another day after another mechanical day.

So, when life (or writing) gets you down, offer yourself something to look forward to, be it a date night with your significant other, or a hiking trip on Saturday morning, or a Dairy Queen Blizzard.

For me, what I have decided to treat myself to is a trip to Boston, Massachusetts. Yup, I purchased my plane ticket on Monday. I'm saying peace to Utah for a few days at the end of this month. And, oh, do I need a trip!

Anyway, have something to look forward to, whatever it may be. It will keep you going and hopefully writing up a storm.

What do you do to pull yourself out of the gutter of writer's depression (or plain depression itself)? What are you going to treat yourself to in order to give you something to look forward to? And how are you doing today?

Writing Jewels

9 comments:

  1. A Dairy Queen Blizzard goes a long way to cheer up this lady, let me tell you! Did you try the new s'mores flavor yet? Oh my word, ah-ma-zing!!

    Spending time blessing other people, helps me more than anything else to get out of a depression/funk. Even if it's something little, like buying the person behind me at Wawa's coffee for them, just random acts of kindness to brighten someone else's day- I find it so up-lifting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A trip to Boston is quite a treat!
    I don't really get depressed, but I do get in a rut sometimes. Doing something really different usually shakes it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trips are a great way to recharge. I find exercise and fixing things to be quite therapeutic. Museums are also great places. Go get out of the insane heat here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm can I have Boston and a blizzard? :D

    Writing has helped me fend off depression more times than I would care to admit. But I think having something to look forward to is absolutely important. I let myself buy a new outfit at the end of every month. It's kind of a splurge, but it's a reward for a month of hard work. If I don't work hard I don't get the reward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never get depressed, but yeah sometimes I'd like something a bit more fulfilling, family and such, but cats will do for now i suppose haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. A trip to Boston sounds nice! I hope you have a great time!

    When I'm in writing depression, I try to find a good book to read or go do something with friends. Just get away from the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boston will be so much fun. Good for you! Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it's a matter of working out the depression. My writing tends to be a bit bipolar, I admit, but you're on the right track. From this one film I'm always enjoyed ... "I think all you need is a small taste of success, and you will find it suits you." Accomplishing something, anything, be it mowing the lawn of baking cookies may jumpstart that drive to drive for success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that you have found so much passion in your life with your writing. I think that for writers, creating a story is as natural as breathing or getting up in the morning. It is a reason for being. Enjoy Boston, it is a great city and there is so much history there.


    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete